Saturday, August 18, 2012

diy pallet coffee table

Since my husband and I moved into our new home, I've been wanting to make a new coffee table. Our previous coffee table-while a cool idea in theory-not so practical in real life. I'd found an old window that had been made into a coffee table and painted it red. I thought it was really unique, it just didn't work as a coffee table.

I loved the idea of using pallets as a coffee table. I'd seen all kinds of ideas on Pinterest and finally came across this tutorial. My parents and I set to work on this project but had to tweak it a little, or a lot, whatevs. We started with four pallets (which you can ask for at Lowe's or Home Depot) but they did not have the wood boards all the way across. We chose the two best-one as the base and one as the top, the leftovers in case we messed up. The plan was for my dad to pull some of the boards off from one of the spares to fill in the gaps for the top pallet (you following?). Turns out, the wood split whenever he tried to do that. Back to the store we went and bought some boards that my dad cut according to size and nailed them straight across on the top of one of the pallets.

After lightly sanding them, we stained both pieces. I used Dark Walnut stain made by Minwax. One coat was all we needed. To give the table some height, my dad cut some 4x4s (which we stained as well) and put four in the middle and four as the legs. My husband even pitched in and varnished it for me :) Definitely make sure you varnish! I added some felt on the bottom of the legs just to be safe it wouldn't get on the carpet.

And there you have it. Sorry I don't have any pictures for the 'during' process. It was really hot that day so that's my excuse. But I do have a pic of the final product!

1 comment: