Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Inverness

Oh my goodness. Monday morning we got up early to catch the train to Inverness, Scotland. And let me just say, I'm in love with this city and with the Highlands. The whole country is absolutely stunning. But being in the Highlands is just awesome. If you're a fan of the Outlander series, you'll understand why. After picking up our rental car and driving to our B&B we set out to explore.

Walking along the Ness Bank.

This morning, we headed to Culloden battlefield. It was so cool to see what I've read about in person. The Battle at Culloden was the final (and extremely bloody) battle of the Jacobite Rising in 1745 and basically the end of Scottish clans. It was definitely a little eerie walking around that field.

Culloden Battlefield
Left: Clan Fraser stone on Culloden Battlefield.    Right: Clava Cairns-split stone! 



I couldn't visit the Highlands without seeing some standing stones! This is for you Outlander fans :) And if you haven't read this books-I highly recommend them. They'll suck you in and then you'll want to visit Scotland :)

Tomorrow we're off to hunt down the Loch Ness monster!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE IT!!! So awesome :):). Bring a Jamie back for me :).

    ReplyDelete